Home directories using UNIX/SMB

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Nov 17 18:08:16 GMT 1997

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure I follow you.  I know that using NISgina for validation I
> > > can specify a non encrypted samba server as the [homes] server and it
> > > passes the username and passwd through ( I am assuming this.  I
> > > haven't
> > > done a packet dump, but it does not prompt for a password if it is the
> > > home directory of the user ).
> >
> > interesting.  i don't know where GINAs fit in, exactly (including
> > microsoft's own one).
> >
> > the only difference i can think of is that NISgina calls LSALogonUser()
> > _not_ the undocumented LSALogonUserEx() function.
>
> A quick scan through the code shows a call to LogonUser() which is not
> defined so I am assuming that this is the LSALogonUser function your are
> referring to.

i don't have an NT machine with me right now, however i think the answer
is... no.  LogonUser (and LogonUserEx) are farmed out from the GINAs to the
appropriate LSALogonUser (and LSALogonUserEx) functions in the LSA dlls (do a
QuickView on MSV1_0.DLL for details).

microsoft are fond of "levels of abstraction".  you have an API interface
where you can plug in multiple objects, and then select which one you want to
use.  or, in the case of logon authentication, _not_ select which one you
want to use: the o/s selects it for you, and you don't have any choice
about it.

this is probably way off topic by now :-)

> Most of the code follows the gina example stuff from the
> MSDN library.  The Gina library provides a defined set of functions such
> as WlxLogon(), WlxLogoff, etc...

that's the "abstracted" level, those WlxLogon()... functions.  probably
in the GINA spec, it says that you can select the DLL that handles the
_actual_ Logon() etc...

lukes