Home directories using UNIX/SMB

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Mon Nov 17 17:06:53 GMT 1997

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > I'm not sure I follow you.  I know that using NISgina for validation I
> > can specify a non encrypted samba server as the [homes] server and it
> > passes the username and passwd through ( I am assuming this.  I
> > haven't
> > done a packet dump, but it does not prompt for a password if it is the
> > home directory of the user ).
>
> interesting.  i don't know where GINAs fit in, exactly (including
> microsoft's own one).
>
> the only difference i can think of is that NISgina calls LSALogonUser()
> _not_ the undocumented LSALogonUserEx() function.

A quick scan through the code shows a call to LogonUser() which is not
defined so I am assuming that this is the LSALogonUser function your are
referring to.  Most of the code follows the gina example stuff from the
MSDN library.  The Gina library provides a defined set of functions such
as WlxLogon(), WlxLogoff, etc...

> if you have "encrypt passwords = yes", then you are using lm and nt owf
> 16 byte hashes in /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd and not clear-text
> passwords.

OK.

> specifically roaming profiles, because even before the user is "logged
> on" to the local machine (by logged on, i mean
> "running-the-program-on-NT-that-runs-all-the-other-GUI-related-
> programs-like-EXPLORER.EXE",the workstation itself mounts the profile
> path and downloads the profile.
>
> because the workstation is in "non-interactive" mode, it cannot fire up
> dialogs like "Enter password for \\samba-server\homes share".

That makes sense.  I see what you are saying now.

                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )