Home directories using UNIX/SMB

Anthony Farrow A.N.Farrow at cranfield.ac.uk
Fri Nov 14 14:19:29 GMT 1997

Fred,

Thanks for the info. However, if I can clarify a few things
with you it would help :

> That is one of the fundamental features of Samba, the "homes"
> directories.  It checks the password files and mounts the file
> space mapped to the user name who logs in.  It will even work
> with NIS maps and automounters with NFS file space (I do that).
> All this is not to say that it will work the first time, though.
> May take some fiddling as you understand the capabilities.  It's
> all in the documentation.

If I am using the password server as an NT box then there
is no local NIS/passwd/smbpasswd file and so if I connect
via an NT box how does samba know where the home directory
is? Or do I have to maintain a local passwd file as well?

> Sharing against NT groups would (in the way you probably want to) be
> difficult (I'm assuming you have an NT domain controller somewhere).
> I've had to maintain group files on the unix side as well.

The password server is also a domain controller yes.

Sorry for being such a pain but I'm stuck here.

Regards,

	Anthony

  Anthony Farrow BSc.(Hon.)
  Systems Programmer
  Cranfield University, England

  Tel   : (01234) 754200 ext. 2833
  Email : a.n.farrow at cranfield.ac.uk

Home Page under construction (slow!) at :
	http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/~ccanf

"Peace Through Superior Firepower"