Samba broken again - any ideas?

Graham Leggett graham at vwv.com
Fri Nov 7 09:00:17 GMT 1997

Louis Mandelstam wrote:

> > A general question: Why is samba so unreliable? I have used different
> > versions of samba for over two years, and between then and now samba has
> > been very unreliable, and doesn't look at becoming more reliable now.
> > BUT - having said this I have almost never had the slightest problem
> > with samba clients connecting to samba shares, all my problems occur
> > Win95 -> samba. BUT having said THAT, Win95 -> Win95 works fine.
>
> FWIW, Samba's been rock solid here no matter what I throw at it.

I think at this stage our samba problems are related to reverse DNS,
because every time our internet connection goes down, samba doesn't work
properly.

Our reverse DNS is controlled by our ISP, not us (though we're getting
this changed).

> Same country - so this is a confirmation that it's not local conditions
> killing you ;-)

Local conditions are killing us, we were hit by a highveld thunderstorm
that blew up our leased line, router, firewall and almost all of our
hubs - we still have not recovered. :(

Regards,
Graham