Profile on NT Domain

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at comm.uni-bremen.de
Thu Nov 6 16:07:41 GMT 1997

Hi all,

today i tried the NT Domain logon for the first time using
samba-1.9.18alpha10.
I had no problem getting the "Welcome to the ANTSMB domain" message :-))
and can also login using username and password from smbpasswd.
But after login i first get the message "your roaming profile is
not available, using a local copy..." and then
"D:\WINNT\profiles\rebehn.000\Desktop\I is not accessible.
The filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect"
If I click on cancel, i get an empty desktop and all i can do is
press CTRL/ALT/DEL to log out again.
Some questions:
1. Why does NT think i'm using a roaming profile?
2. My user name is rebehn, not rebehn.000
3. in the above error message, the "I" in "\I" looks strange,
   maybe a garbage character, thus the incorrect syntax.

Here's my setup:
- samba-1.9.18alpha10
- NT 4.0 SP1
- smb.conf:
   status = yes
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   load printers = yes
   log level = 1
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   password level = 2
   read prediction = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   valid chars = ö:Ö å:Å ä:Ä
   share modes = yes
   locking = yes
   strict locking = yes
   keepalive = 30

workgroup = ANTSMB
domain sid = S-1-5-21-123-456-789-123
domain logons = yes

[homes]
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
        comment = Home Directory

[netlogon]
        comment = Samba Network Logon Service
        path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
        case sensitive = no
        guest ok = yes
        locking = no
        writable = no

netlogon is empty, do i really need it?
Samba runs under Linux-2.0.30-pre10 with automount support enabled.

What's even worse: I have just discovered that i can even login with
no password, i accidently hit return, got logged in and even get a
desktop! Strange....

Any ideas what i've done wrong?
--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn at comm.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341