SAMBA digest 1371

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Thu Jul 31 20:06:46 GMT 1997

I would suggest you turn off DNS, and use a hosts file on the Win95 box.
It looks just like the /etc/hosts file on your SCO box. Just FTP it to the
C:\WINDOWS directory, but make sure you 'get' it as ASCII.

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Ian Kremenic wrote:

> > I've installed Samba ("latest") on SCO's openserver 5 with a WIN'95 hanging
> > off of it as a client.
> >
> > I can run every test in DIAGNOSI.txt except for number 2. That is, the WIN'95
> >
> > The SCO box uses /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf for domain name resolution
> > and the WIN'95 box points to the SCO box as the DNS. Do I actually have to set
> > up DNS/BIND on the SCO box or can Samba use the /etc/hosts setup as the text
> > file appears to indicate?
>
> >From what you've described, the Win95 box is looking to the SCO box
> for DNS, but the SCO box isn't a name server--it's getting name
> service from somewhere else, namely the host specified in
> /etc/resolv.conf (or it's just looking up names in /etc/hosts).
> Either tell the Win95 box to get name service from the server
> specified in resolv.conf, or make up an lmhosts file for it based on
> the /etc/hosts file on the SCO box.  Or, setup the SCO box as a
> nameserver, if you feel like it.

> Ian Kremenic, M.Eng.                   ian at nismat.org
> Research Assistant/Network Admin.      http://www.nismat.org
> Nicholas Institute for Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma

                                [Darrin]

 "I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious."
				- A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753