Print jobs merging?

Mark Hazen mhazen at franklin.uga.edu
Thu Jul 31 17:26:57 GMT 1997

I have a problem going on here, that I hope someone out there may be able
to help solve. We run SAMBA 1.16p11 under Solaris 2.5 to serve about 60
Win95 clients. Thirty of these clients are printing to three HP laserjet
printers, each printer with a JetDirect card which uses lpsched on the
Solaris server as their print spooler. These spools have been defined as
BSD-type devices under sysv's lpsystem command, and they print perfectly,
with one small exception.

My problem is this.... we have print jobs which are generated from an
external source, and print jobs which are generated internally, through
users printing from their desktop machines to these network printers,
through SAMBA.

When multiple jobs come in from the external source, (or, are generated
directly on the Unix server), everything works just fine.... but if users
print through the SAMBA connection, the jobs they print seem to let other
jobs "slip in" while they are printing. This is a massive problem, as you
can imagine. We're getting users who print and only get the first page or
two of a three or four page document if one of these SAMBA-generated jobs
gets interrupted, and users who get gibberish for their first page of a
document when it breaks into the middle of a SAMBA-generated job.

Has anyone seen and/or solved this behavior, or does anyone have any
suggestions? The possibly relevant portions of my smb.conf file are
included for those who wish to see them. I've been through the SAMBA docs
and FAQ, and didn't see anything really relevant... maybe somethin gon the
SOlaris side would help this behavior?

Thanks in advance,

  -mh.

--from smb.conf---
  workgroup = FRANKLIN

  [global]
     syslog = 1
     server string = Samba %v on %h (%L, %d)
     printing = sysv
     load printers = yes
     browseable = yes
     getwd cache = yes
     hide dot files = no
     read prediction = true
     guest account = nobody
     create mask = 0775
     security = user
     ;hosts allow = localhost, 128.192.16., 168.15.176.
     encrypt passwords = yes
     password level = 4
     domain master = yes
     preferred master = yes
     wins support = yes
     socket options = tcp_nodelay
     os level = 32
     log file = /opt/samba/var/log.%m
     log level = 1

[printers]
   comment = %S
   path = /opt/samba/tmp
   browseable = no
   print command = /usr/bin/lp -d %p %s >> /opt/samba/var/lprlog/%u.lpdlog
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = yes

---
Mark Hazen                    ph:(706) 542-1546
207 New College               Network Administrator, Dean's Office
The University of Georgia     Franklin College of Arts and Sciences