Visual C 5.0 loosing on samba1.17alpha4

Hermann Lauer Hermann.Lauer at IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Wed Jul 30 19:58:29 GMT 1997

Sorry for relpying so late, but I haven't had the time
to do futher tests in the meantime.

On Jul 11, 12:49pm, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> 	I must confess these do not sound like Samba
> problems. Did the users NT workstation change at the
> same time as the Samba upgrade ?

For me it looks also very heavy like a VC5++ or even a NT Problem.
But let me report the results of further tests today:

1)
The NT User installed his NT4.0 SP3 workstation from scratch today,
and installed VC5++.

Server runs samba1.17alpha4 on linux-2.0.29.

Result: VC5++ wont work - doesn't find local dll's, illegal Instruction traps -
same as reported in the first mail.

2) Server downgraded to  samba1.16p9: (nothing altered on the NT workstation!)

Result: VC5++ works.

> Would it be possible to load MSVC++5 on another
> NT workstation and see if the same problems
> occur ?

Will test that when I have the time - sorry at the moment.

> If the user is getting illegal-instruction traps
> and the binary is loaded from local disk this
> sounds like a problem with the VC++ install to me.
Could be - but I think the User has'nt done anything unusual.

> The new file locking code shouldn't affect VC++
> in any way (except to help). I run VC++ 5 here
> against my latest development source Samba drive
> and see no problems.

Can you send me the relevant parts of your smb.conf ?

At the moment I suspect a configuration problem - please see my smb.conf below.

> If you can reproduce the problem on another NT
> machine against the same project being served
> from Samba I'll be much more suspicious of a
> bug in Samba.

Will do that as time allows.

>-- End of excerpt from Jeremy Allison

I also noted that domain logons from win 95 here has some problems with
samba1.17alpha4:

1) net time /set /yes
   in the login script stops working - reports something like "no server found"

2) Roving profiles stops working:

"Couldn't write to \\<sambaserver>\NOBODY\...." win 95 report's on login and
logout - but I are authenticated as a known user.

Again I suspect my smb.conf for samba1.17alpha4 - please have a look at it.

Thanks for any further help/ideas on the things above.
Thanks for any further work.

Greetings

  Hermann

[global]
;config files zum debuggen
        config file=/etc/smb.conf.%m
        log level=2
        max log size=500
;printing
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
  guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   share modes = yes
;#### Browsing stuff ####
  workgroup=DIGIBILD
  domain logons = yes
; Nur domain Masterbrowser
  domain master=yes
  preferred master=yes
  wins support=yes
        local master=yes
  logon script = loginscr.bat
  logon path=\\%L\%U
  os level=33
  security=user
        password level=2
        username map= /etc/smbusermap
  map archive=no
  alternate permissions=true
; File case mapping
  preserve case=yes
  short preserve case=yes
;       deutsche Umlaute + korrekte Umsetzung
  valid chars = 0xe4:0xc4 0xf6:0xd6 0xfc:0xdc 0xdf
  character set = iso8859-1
  public=no
;Timeout fuer Clients (min)
        dead time=15
; Tuning options
  read raw=yes
  write raw=yes
  socket options=TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
  read prediction=true
;Winpopup messages
  message command = /net/klimt/binWWW/Intern/SambaReceive '%t' '%f' '%s' '%m'
'%a' '%T'

[homes]
   comment = Private Home Directory
;damit entscheidet sich, ob roving profiles benutzt
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750

[netlogon]