CD rom / linux

Erwin Authried eauth at softsys.co.at
Tue Jul 29 15:32:23 GMT 1997

On Freitag, 25. Juli 1997 23:09, samba at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au wrote:
> hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu said :
>
> >I have a question about cd-rom for linux system.  Although it is not
> >related to samba directly, I believe many people in this group are
> >expert about linux and may give me correct answer.  I am going to
> >buy a pc to install linux (the most recent slackware one).  My
> >question is: do I need a scsi cd-rom drive to install and run linux
>
> The more recent versions of the linux kernal will mount just about
> anything, so a normal IDE'ish CDROM drive is fine. If the setup
> program wont recognize the drive, mount it somewhere sensible and
> install from pre-mounted partition, eg :
>
> mkdir /cdrom
> mount /dev/hdc /cdrom -t iso9660
>
> (where hdc = drive on master of 2ndry controller)

A related question: I would like to build a CD-Rom server based on Samba where
it is possible to swap CDs without mounting them by hand. The volume label should
appear automatically in Windows. Is this possible ?

-Erwin
--
mail4u Version 1.2.01 (http://www.mail4u.home.at), registered for
Softwareentwicklung und Systemdesign