Amanda 2.3.0.5-Samba 1.9.16p11 PC backups...

Christopher D. Cofer cofer at unt.edu
Sat Jul 26 14:50:49 GMT 1997

If your drive is greater that 2Gig then you are going to run into
problems when sendsize returns the size of the backup.

If you run smbclient to the machine and do a recursive dir
and the returned amount is negative, then this is your problem.

I have several machines with 4 Gig drives and am currently
working on a patch.  Patching the samba client wasn't that hard,
but so far it is only allowing me to back up 2^32 bytes.

After this I have found that another program is complaining about
a negative size as well.  It seems that there needs to be a better
way of reporting dump size. (Greater capacity).

I will post my results in a few days.  But since I am new to patching
files and making diffs, It may take me longer and I may need some help.

Thanks,
Christopher D. Cofer

----------
> From: Ernie Oporto <ernie_oporto at MENTORG.COM>
> To: amanda-users at cs.umd.edu; samba at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au
> Subject: Amanda 2.3.0.5-Samba 1.9.16p11 PC backups...
> Date: Friday, July 25, 1997 1:51 PM
>
> At the bottom is what I got returned from AMANDA 2.3.0.5 after patching
> Samba 1.9.16p11  to give estimates.  Any idea what I might not have done
yet?

> My disklist reads:
> shokk   \\thor\depot    nocomp-user-gnutar
>
> To connect successfully to that server with smbclient, I have to do this,
> giving the same password that I now have in /etc/amandapass:
> smbclient \\\\THOR\\DEPOT -U BACKUP
>
> Also, the smbclient call only seems to be working for NT servers.  All of
> the Win95 machines reject the connection.  The Win95 machines are set to
> User-level access control to the same server that samba is running on.
>
> >From: root (SysAdmin)
> >Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:42:02 -0400
> >To: ernie_oporto
> >Subject: Amanda P0 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR July 25, 1997
> >
> >*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [no tape online].
> >*** PERFORMED ALL DUMPS AS INCREMENTAL DUMPS TO HOLDING DISK.
> >
> >THESE DUMPS WERE TO DISK.  Flush them onto a new tape.
> >Tonight's dumps should go onto 1 tape: a new tape.
> >
> >FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> >  shokk      \\thor\depot lev 0 FAILED [no estimate or historical data]
> >

> >STATISTICS:
> >                          Total       Full      Daily
> >                        --------   --------   --------
> >Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00   (0:00 start,
0:00
> idle)
> >Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
> >Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
> >Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
> >Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
> >Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
> >Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
> >Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
> >

> >NOTES:
> >  planner: Adding new disk shokk:\\thor\depot.
> >  driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
> >

> >DUMP SUMMARY:
> >                                      DUMPER STATS
TAPER
> STATS
> >HOSTNAME  DISK           L  ORIG-KB   OUT-KB COMP%  MMM:SS   KB/s
MMM:SS