[Q]Group Authentication of Samba

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Fri Dec 26 11:05:55 GMT 1997

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997 11:17:04 +1100, you wrote:

>Thank you for your reply.
>
>Forget to mention that the share I am going to manage is actually a 'FAX
>printer'(mgetty+sendfax).  I just want to control, who can send fax
>through this service and who cannot.  Well, you know, those management
>are always interested in nothing but "control":-)  Yeah of course it
>would be great if samba could show the user's HOME dir(which is assigned
>in the NT user admin) without adding a user account and a home dir.  But
>that is not relavent to my problem, yet.

The homedir is irrelevant, you can user 'security = server' and 'password
server = ntpasswordserver' however you will have to setup a dummy account
for every user you have on your NT machine (in order for every user to have
a valid UID) and user groups will not be mirrored.

PS If your setting up fax you will probably want to follow the instructions
with mgetty+sendfax for fax with samba, *not* the docs supplied with samba
in Faxing.txt