Intermittent logon failures

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.anu.edu.au
Sat Dec 20 20:11:47 GMT 1997

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997, Edan Idzerda wrote:

> Samba 1.9.17p2 running on SPARC 4 Solaris 2.5.
>
> Windows 95 clients.
>
> For some time now I have been hearing reports of users not
> being able to logon to the domain--but I've never seen it
> happen myself, and I never do anything to fix it.  It's
> just this annoying problem that doesn't happen often enough
> for me to ever see or track down.
>
> Today, FINALLY, I tried logging into a machine and it did it
> to *me* and I FINALLY put together that a weird error message
> I had been seeing was Samba telling me there really was
> a problem AND it was the problem people were telling me about.
>
> Sure sure, it all makes sense NOW, but the error message:
>
> 	smbd: reject invalid user nobody
>
> never clicked for me.  But that's what I'm seeing.  The
> Windows 95 box says "The network could not validate you.  Seek
> fulfillment elsewhere."
>
> It started working again before I was able to get a better
> debug log on it.  I'm going to add a little code in user_ok()
> to get some more info when it does.
>
> Any ideas anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

log out, then log in as a different user.  make sure that you log in as
the second user _before_ the connection (that is still maintained by the
w95 client, from the previous user) idles out.

i'm starting to work out what's going on here.

it's something to do with returning the correct error code when the
initial connection to a server is an IPC$ connection (and therefore made
as guest).

under these circumstances, the connection was made anonymously.  you
therefore _do not_ want to allow connections to shares, because you're not
logged in as a user.

so, nt server returns a specific error code describing this condition to
the client.  the client _disconnects_ and reconnects, _this_ time with a
username and password, and _then_ attempts to do the SMBtconX.

if we get this sorted out, it will solve lots of connection problems that
people have been reporting.

luke