Intermittent logon failures

Edan Idzerda edan at mtu.edu
Sat Dec 20 00:11:39 GMT 1997

Samba 1.9.17p2 running on SPARC 4 Solaris 2.5.

Windows 95 clients.

For some time now I have been hearing reports of users not
being able to logon to the domain--but I've never seen it
happen myself, and I never do anything to fix it.  It's
just this annoying problem that doesn't happen often enough
for me to ever see or track down.

Today, FINALLY, I tried logging into a machine and it did it
to *me* and I FINALLY put together that a weird error message
I had been seeing was Samba telling me there really was
a problem AND it was the problem people were telling me about.

Sure sure, it all makes sense NOW, but the error message:

	smbd: reject invalid user nobody

never clicked for me.  But that's what I'm seeing.  The
Windows 95 box says "The network could not validate you.  Seek
fulfillment elsewhere."

It started working again before I was able to get a better
debug log on it.  I'm going to add a little code in user_ok()
to get some more info when it does.

Any ideas anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

- edan