SMB printing client driver data serving w/ Samba

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Wed Dec 17 22:19:50 GMT 1997

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Herb Lewis wrote:

> There is a file in the docs directory called PRINTER_DRIVER.txt that
> explains how to do this. I tried it and it works for Win95 clients.
> The only problem I had was the make_printerdef command did not
> generate a correct printers.def file (it added spaces in front
> of some of the driver file names). Printers.def is an ascii file
> so it was easy to fix by hand and then everything worked fine.
>
> I've been too busy with other things to track down the bug in
> make_printerdef

I wrote make_printerdef quickly to help people build the printer files
description. I know there are some bugs in it and I have a patch to send
to samba-bugs. I'm too busy also.

> Edward Quillen wrote:
> >
> > Is there anyway to get Samba to pass back printer driver data
> > to a client the way NT print servers do. This makes life so much
> > easier. From the Samba source, it looks like the 'driverdata'
> > field for a printer is just set to the string "NULL". The
> > CIFS specs that I found don't discuss what should be returned in
> > that field. NOTE: I am already using the DRIVERNAME configuration
> > option but I want to take it one step further.
> >
> > Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> > Ed
>
> --
> Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
> Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
> Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
> herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
> http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177

: Jean Francois Micouleau       : Email: jfm at utc.fr       :
: Universite de                 : Tel  : 03 44 23 47 78   :
: Technologie de                :  Service Informatique   :
: Compiegne              France :     Division IRNM       :