SMB printing client driver data serving w/ Samba

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Wed Dec 17 16:36:07 GMT 1997

There is a file in the docs directory called PRINTER_DRIVER.txt that
explains how to do this. I tried it and it works for Win95 clients.
The only problem I had was the make_printerdef command did not
generate a correct printers.def file (it added spaces in front
of some of the driver file names). Printers.def is an ascii file
so it was easy to fix by hand and then everything worked fine.

I've been too busy with other things to track down the bug in
make_printerdef

Edward Quillen wrote:

> Is there anyway to get Samba to pass back printer driver data
> to a client the way NT print servers do. This makes life so much
> easier. From the Samba source, it looks like the 'driverdata'
> field for a printer is just set to the string "NULL". The
> CIFS specs that I found don't discuss what should be returned in
> that field. NOTE: I am already using the DRIVERNAME configuration
> option but I want to take it one step further.
>
> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> Ed

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177