1.9.16p11 and Windows 95 app conflicts

tricha21 at csc.com tricha21 at csc.com
Wed Dec 17 22:06:39 GMT 1997

We installed Samba 1.9.16p11 on our Solaris 2.5 Sparc server here and we
are
having some difficulty getting Windows 95 programs to access the Samba
shares.
Many of the programs work, and we are dedicated to using Samba, and we have
a lot
of stuff out there, and we are using it effectively.  But we have a few
problems with a
few programs.

One of the possible solutions to this problem is to upgrade to 1.9.17p4;
however
we have a minimal make facility without a C compiler (although we should be

getting the compiler in a month or two).  Is there a way to get a
pkgtool-ready
binary set up for this newer Samba version?  The version we are using now
was set
up this way, and it was a big help due to our lack of compiler.

I'll include our smb.conf at the bottom of this email so you can see if
it's set up
right.

Here are a few of the problems we're having:

Microsoft Access:  When I try to create a new file I get a mysterious
error:  "File
'F:\DB1.MDB' cannot be deleted;" however the file never existed in the
first place.
F is my mapping to the share drive.

Microsoft Schedule+:  Same deal, creating a new file, response:  "There was
problem opening the local schedule.  Access is denied."  The file is never
saved to
the share, and it didn't exist before trying to create it.

Oracle Developer 2000's Graphics Designer has no problem; however its Forms

Designer gives out the error:  "FRM-10044:  Cannot create file."  This
dialog box
uses the mangled naming convention used by MS-DOS.  Again, no file ever
existed
there in the first place, and no file was created on the share through
using this
dialog box.

Microsoft Post Office has a similar problem, but it was a coworker who
discovered that, and I haven't gotten the details from him.

When I try to create a directory using Netscape Navigator's "Save" dialog
box it
uses the default name "fldr", and then when I try to change it to something
 more
readable it complains that filename 'NetSelect' is too long, and says it
must be 8
chars or less.  Netscape isn't consistent, and it sometimes doesn't have
this
problem.

OK.  So those are some of the problems, and I mentioned that one solution
might be
an upgrade, but we can't do that unless we get a pkgtool .tar.gz setup for
17p4
because we don't have a compiler here.  I'm just wondering whether the
upgrade
would actually solve the problems or if the solution lies somewhere else.

Our server is a Sun Ultra 1 running Solaris 2.5, and our PC clients are all
 Compaq
Prolinea 5100s running Ethernet with heaps of RAM; there are about 20 of
those.

We have other Sun boxes around, for other things, and most of them are tied
 into the
network.

We also have a couple printers.  Another question:  When we try to kill
print jobs
on the print server, it looks like Samba restores the print job, undoing
all the hard
work of trying to get rid of the job in the first place.  Is there a way to
 get Samba to
kill an already-submitted job, how do we do it?

Thanks, in anticipation, and here's the smb.conf:

# cat smb.conf
;
; global settings for the smbd and nmbd SAMBA daemons...
;
[global]
; workgroup publishes the name of this share server, which is xsdc
        workgroup = xsdc
; printing controls the the server what type of UNIX we're running
        printing = bsd
; load printers searches /etc/printcap for available printers
        load printers = yes
; where is our UNIX system's printcap, anyhow?
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
; retains the case originally specified by the Win95 client (user)
        preserve case = yes
; controls browsing level
        os level =34
; where the SAMBA log file is saved
        log file = /usr/local/samba/log/%m
; how verbose is the log
        log level=3
;
; Users' UNIX directory accessibility section
;
; Note: user's home directory will automatically show up in Win95 if they
have
; the same Win95 username as is in UNIX
;
[homes]
; home directories are private and invisible to all but the user in
question
        guest ok = no
; read only=no allows the user to write to his own home directory share
        read only= no
; browseable allows home directory to be seen in user's Win95 Network
N'hood
        browseable = no
; this is what the user sees when she looks in the Win95 browser
        comment = Home of your private directory
;
; PRINTER SPECIFICATION SECTION
;
[BPCLJ4]
; path is where the temporary print files will go
        path = /var/spool/lp
; public allows a guest to print
        public = yes
; printable allows the user's print to save a spool file in /var/spool/lp
        printable = yes
; writable allows the user's print to save a temporary file to our
/var/spool/lp
        writable = yes
; printer driver name as defaulted in the Win95 print server dialog
        printer driver = HP Laserjet 4
; this is the printer that we will be printing to
        printer name = BPCLJ4
; after spooling, this command will be passed to the shell.
; first put a line in the log to say who printed and when
; because we're deleting the file when done, ask lp to make a copy of it
(-c)
        print command = echo %T %m %M %a %U %G %p >> /tmp/print.log; \
        /usr/bin/lp -d BPCLJ4 -o nofilebreak -t %U  -c -P %p %s; rm %s
; this is what's displayed in the Network Neighborhood Explorer
        comment = BPCLJ4 (HP Laserjet 4) Print server is dc005su
[XSDCLJ4]
; path is where the temporary print files will go
        path = /var/spool/lp
; public allows a guest to print
        public = yes
; printable allows the user's print to save a spool file in /var/spool/lp
        printable = yes
; writable allows the user's print to save a temporary file to our
/var/spool/lp
        writable = yes
; printer driver name as defaulted in the Win95 print server dialog
        printer driver = HP Laserjet 4
; this is the printer that we will be printing to
        printer name = XSDCLJ4
; after spooling, this command will be passed to the shell.
; first put a line in the log to say who printed and when
; because we're deleting the file when done, ask lp to make a copy of it
(-c)
        print command = echo %T %m %M %a %U %G %p >> /tmp/print.log; \
        /usr/bin/lp -d XSDCLJ4 -o nofilebreak -t %U  -c -P %p %s; rm %s
; this is what's displayed in the Network Neighborhood Explorer
        comment = XSDCLJ4 (HP Laserjet 4) Print server is dc005su
;
; PRINTER SPECIFICATION SECTION
;
[XSDCLJ6]
; path is where the temporary print files will go
        path = /var/spool/lp
; public allows a guest to print
        public = yes
; printable allows the user's print to save a spool file in /var/spool/lp
        printable = yes
; writable allows the user's print to save a temporary file to our
/var/spool/lp
        writable = yes
; printer driver name as defaulted in the Win95 print server dialog
        printer driver = HP Laserjet 4
; this is the printer that we will be printing to
        printer name = XSDCLJ6
; after spooling, this command will be passed to the shell.
; first put a line in the log to say who printed and when
; because we're deleting the file when done, ask lp to make a copy of it
(-c)
        print command = echo %T %m %M %a %U %G %p >> /tmp/print.log; \
        /usr/bin/lp -d XSDCLJ6  -o nofilebreak -t %U  -c -P %p %s; rm %s
; this is what's displayed in the Network Neighborhood Explorer
        comment = XSDCLJ6 (HP Laserjet 6p) Print server is dc102su
;
; COMMON FILE AREA SPECIFICATION
;
[xsdc_common]
; path is where the common area is represented by the UNIX file system
        path = /usr5
; users may create and modify files on /usr5
        writable = yes
; the share is available for browse in, e.g, Win95 Explorer Network N'hood
        browseable = yes
; allows file copying between different users' directories, with no
read-only
        alternate permissions = yes
; create mask tries to make all files written from Win95 User and Group
read/wri
te/execute, and nothing for other/world
        create mask = 0770
; this is what the user sees when she looks in the Win95 browser
        comment = Common XSDC Documentation and Shared Files

-Tim Richards
tricha21 at csc.com