/etc/passwd - Domain Controller Synchronization

Pat Caldon patc at acl.archaeology.usyd.edu.au
Wed Dec 17 00:11:43 GMT 1997

On 04-Dec-97 Jorge Silva (Jorge Gomes da Silva) wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I don't know much about Samba so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
>
>I'm currently working on a project for a client that relies on Unix machines
>for their main applications. Access to Unix applications is done through
>terminal emulation (vt 100) on Windows PCs.
>
>We are implementing a Windows NT network for file an print sharing and to
>support SMS. One of the goals of the project is to achieve an authentication
>scheme where username and password are exactly the same on Unix and NT. In
>this kind of solution if the user changes it's password in NT it will also
>change in Unix (/etc/passwd). We would like to know if this kind of
>synchcronization is possible with Samba (we only need to reflect changes
>made on NT to Unix, we don't need it to work from Unix to NT).

Two ways I can think of off hand:

- Use  cygnus' Kerbnet and Kerberos authentication on HP/UX, and set up a
(NT or UNIX) bastion with authentication info there, or

- Use NISGINA and do all authentication by NIS.  This would be a bit of a hack
however, and I imagine SMS might barf at this.

Pat Caldon | patc at acl.archaeology.usyd.edu.au
Systems Administrator, Archaeological Computing Laboratory,
Archaeology, Prehistoric and Historical, University of Sydney