Configuring printer drivers

Sean Murphy s.murphy at Teltec.DCU.IE
Thu Dec 4 17:31:30 GMT 1997

Hi,

I've been running a samba server for our small group of users (about 15) for
approx the last 18 months with great success. We use the server for both file
and printer sharing.

I had to make some modifications to the printer configuration today, and I've
got a quick question which arose from my tinkering.

I wanted to configure the server such that each of our printers can be used
with either postscript or the native driver. Hence, I set up two 'printers' on
samba for each actual printer - one with the "printer driver" parameter set to
the native printer driver, and the other with the "printer driver" parameter
set to the postscript driver.

When I tried to install one of the new printers on a client (Win NT),
windows NT informed me that it could not find the driver on the server
(presumably the samba server), and was checking it's the set of printer drivers
stored locally. This gave me the impression that the printer drivers can be
stored on the server in a place in which the SMB client will automatically
look, and, if found, automatically use as the printer driver. Is this correct?
If so, where should I store the printer drivers?

I'm running samba v1.9.17p4 on Solaris 2.5 with a mixture of win95 and winNT
clients if it matters.

I had a look in the docs, but couldn't find anything related to this.

Thanks for your help,
Sean.
-----
Sean Murphy,		Phone: +353-1-7045080