How to get nmbd to work?

Nathan Neulinger nneul at umr.edu
Sat Dec 13 18:02:22 GMT 1997

> > I have NEVER been able to get nmbd to work in anything even remotely
> > approximating a usable fashion.
> >
> > All I want it to do is DNS lookups.
> >
> > I can't even get it to do that reliably. It looks in some cases like it
> > isn't even sending a response back to the querying clients.
> >
> > When I do a request that fails, I get this:
> >
> > ---
> > nmb packet from 192.55.114.4(3175) header: id=8172 opcode=Query(0)
> > response=No
> >     header: flags: bcast=Yes rec_avail=No rec_des=Yes trunc=No auth=No
> >     header: rcode=0 qdcount=1 ancount=0 nscount=0 arcount=0
> >     question: q_name=GAMMA(0) q_type=32 q_class=1
> > Name query from 192.55.114.4 for name GAMMA<0x0>
> > Found DNS cache entry GAMMA(0)
> > ---
> >
> > Nothing gets sent back.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Are the reverse mappings in your dns correct and complete?
Yep.
> Have you got the stops in the right places in the forward lookup?
> Have got any stops in the wrong places in the forward lookup?
Both entries are ok.

> Try sending a SIGUSR1 to named to put it debug mode, and then look in the
> debug output. Send named a SIGINT and inspect the namedb dump.
> While in debug, send SIGHUP and check the debug output for errors found
> when reloading.
> Don't forget to SIGUSR2 named to take it out of debug mode!

The debug output from nmbd indicated that it is getting the correct
answer, but it looks like it is never sending the answer out.

In fact, I given an "nmbd" on "delta.rollanet.org", in workgroup
"rollanet", I am unable to get it to answer for anything other than
"delta", "rollanet", "__samba__" or entries that it has learned.

It won't answer for "delta.rollanet.org".

Even putting "gamma.rollanet.org gamma" in the lmhosts file didn't help,
nor did "192.55.114.4 gamma". Nor the uppercase versions of those.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul at umr.edu