setup problems

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Wed Dec 10 23:32:53 GMT 1997

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:17:14 +1100, you wrote:

>Hi folks --
>
>I'm trying to share out my home directory and one other directory from
>an SGI O2 running IRIX 6.3 to an HP Vectra running Win NT 4.0.  I'm
>having some problems and would appreciate a hand.
>
>I've read the man pages, DIAGNOSIS.txt, the FAQ, and most of the other
>documents in the distribution.  My problem is probably a simple
>configuration issue, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it
>based on what I've read.

[snip]

>2.  Second attempt, I get no prompt, just the following message:
>
>"System error 1240 has occurred."
>"The account is not authorized to login from this station"

System error 1240 means that the client is refusing to talk to a
non-encrypting server. If you've read the FAQ then you will have read the
section which mentions that in order to allow NT4 Service Pack 3 to use
non-encrypted passwords you need to apply a registry patch. If you have
read most of the documentation then I am sure you've stumbled accross
WinNT.txt which documents this particular problem and the possible
solutions.