SAMBA digest 1518

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Dec 10 19:05:46 GMT 1997

> > > 2. Mapping the smbpasswd file to a NIS+ table. (Does this really
> > >    make sense?)
>
> I've actually done this. The code is currently in what you could call beta

good stuff.

> If you feel I missed something out securitywise, please tell me.

yes, the 16 byte hashes are clear-text equivalent.  i'd recommend using a
two-way obfuscation technique that microsoft also currently uses.  see the
pwdump code, although this will unfortunately mean using the des libraries
again (i think).

alternatively, write your own obfuscation method.

microsoft sucks.

luke