samba-des has bad performance

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Tue Dec 9 18:16:53 GMT 1997

At 02:09 10-12-97 +1100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I have a problem with samba. I run the freebsd samba-des port
>(samba-des-1.9.17.4) in a pretty much vanilla setting; home dir, a few
>shared dirs, no printing (yet).
>
>The problem is performance. While Samba is not terribly slow it's still
>too slow. Copying large files takes about half a minute/meg  on an
>Ethernet LAN with no other activity. Trying to read a file using
>netscape (file://server/blabla) gets me down to 40 KB/s, or less! One
>user has put his WinNetscape mail directory on the server, and claims
>that Netscape hardly starts after this.
>
>The machine is fast (PPro 200MHz, three SCSI-UW (w/ 2940-UW controller)
>disks, 128 MB RAM) running FreeBSD-stable (2.2.5) and it serves nfs,
>http and appletalk (using netatalk) much faster than samba, so it's
>probably not related to network hardware.
>
>In the same network, there is a P90 w/ IDE disks running NT Server 4
>SP3. It outperforms Samba, and this annoys me  ;-)

Well, I'm running essentially the same hardware, except that I'm on Caldera
OpenLinux, with kernel v2.0.29.

I actually get better transfers with Samba than with NFS. I have smbmounted
a share between two Linux boxen and the same share using NFS. The NFS
shares are slower. The Samba installation is using default values. The LAN
is 10base2.

>Any ideas?

It could be the des routines, they are an extra layer, did you build the
binaries yourself?

>Best regards,
>Palle Girgensohn
>
>PS. I enclose my smb.conf, just in case. DS.[global]
>   comment = FreeBSD - Samba %v
>   workgroup = Musik
>   printing = bsd
>   printcap name = /etc/printcap
>   load printers = yes
>   guest account = nobody
>;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
>;  it if you want a combined log file.
>   log file = /var/log/sambalog.%m
>   dont descend = /dev,/proc,/root,/stand
>   hosts allow = ipnumbers...
>

>   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
>   share modes = yes
>
>   map archive = no
>   status = yes
>   public = yes
>   read only = no
>   preserve case = yes
>   strip dot = yes
>   security = user
>   encrypt passwords = yes
>   guest ok = no
>   dead time = 10
>
>[homes]
>   comment = Home Directories
>   browseable = no
>   read only = no
>   create mode = 0770
>
>[printers]
>   comment = All Printers
>   path = /var/spool/samba
>   browseable = no
>   printable = yes
>   public = no
>   writable = no
>   create mode = 0700
>
>[arkiv]
>   comment = Arkivet
>   public = yes
>   writable = yes
>   path = /disk2/data
>   printable = no
>   force group = user
>   directory mask = 0770
>   create mode = 0660
>   delete readonly = yes

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail:		mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Personalweb pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:	http://www.mhsc.com/