samba-des has bad performance

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Dec 9 16:00:18 GMT 1997

> Hello!
>
> I have a problem with samba. I run the freebsd samba-des port
> (samba-des-1.9.17.4) in a pretty much vanilla setting; home dir, a few
> shared dirs, no printing (yet).

> The problem is performance. While Samba is not terribly slow it's still
> too slow. Copying large files takes about half a minute/meg  on an

i find that samba running on FreeBSD is also pathetically slow: 10 to 20
k per second.  adding "socket options = TCP_NODELAY" speeds this up by a
factor of ten to twenty, on a 10mb/s LAN with NE2000 cards.  it hammers
the server, because it too only has an NE2000, but who cares :-)

see docs/Speed.txt

luke