WINS dependence on IP name resolution

Scott H. Baxter Scott_H._Baxter at notes.up.com
Mon Dec 8 20:03:21 GMT 1997

I am currently trying to use WINS exclusively to resolve host names for our
desktops.  Somebody 'architected' a desktop host naming convention that works
for NetBIOS names but is not supported by our DNS configurations.  There are
too many desktops to put in a hosts file and the only data structure that has
both the IP and host names is WINS.

However, it appears that WINS still needs IP name resolution.  Nmblookup won't
work unless I can resolve the name first through hosts lookup.  This is
bogus.  I plainly see the IP address in my NT WINS server table, the WINS
server's address is appropriately configured in smb.conf, it shows up when I
execute nmblookup with a high diagnostic value, AND nmblookup appears to work
when I uncomment the workstation in question's address line in the hosts
table.  I wondered what the deal was when I noted the IP resolution test 2 in
the diagnostics procedure, and it appears that WINS client capability can not
be served without prior IP name to address resolution.

What's up with this?  I need to get an IP address from a NetBIOS name through
a WINS lookup to an NT 4.0 SP3 WINS server and don't particularly care at this
point if the name used in WINS will resolve through other means.  Can anyone
tell me if the SAMBA product suite will support this sort of enquiry?