KerbNet!

Donald Gaffney gaffney at salus.med.uvm.edu
Mon Dec 8 17:51:45 GMT 1997

> Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 11:08:12 -0700
> From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins at obgyn.unm.edu>
>
> I want to thank whoever mentioned KerbNet by Cygnus Solutions!  Wowza!
> I recommend that people check it out.  It lets you implement Kerberos
> under UNIX and NT, and have them work together (so you have one *unified*
> security system that is used by both your NT and UNIX boxes).
> It's at http://www.cygnus.com/product/kerbnet-index.html

...snip...

> Anyone know how to get *Samba* to work with Kerberos?  Is there an easy,
> painless way or will it require me doing open-heart surgery on the Samba
> authentication source code?  (Which I would be willing to do, *if* there
> isn't anyone else out there who has already done it.)

You can start with the following block in the Makefile:

# This is for Kerberos 5 authentication. Contributed by Nathan Neulinger
# Univ. of Missouri - Rolla <nneul at umr.edu>
# KRB5_BASE = /usr/local/krb5
# KRB5_FLAGS = -DKRB5_AUTH -I$(KRB5_BASE)/include
# KRB5_LIBS = -L$(KRB5_BASE)/lib -ldes425 -lkrb5 -lcrypto -lcom_err

I haven't tested the KerbNet Samba combo yet; my little linux box is having
bus problems so I've halted the Kerbnet testing until I get the hardware
problems resolved (by way of a new motherboard).  :-(

Please let me know, via the list or by mail, if setting the above KRB5_
values works with the KerbNet implementation.

Thanks,
-Don