Win95 clients not logging in to Samba

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Wed Aug 27 18:12:20 GMT 1997

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Louis Mandelstam wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > > [homes] support in Samba.  I've no clue if the [homes] way of doing things
> > > in standard in the NT world.
> >
> > nope!  not a hope in hell of it being standard, which is why we have this
> > problem now.
>
> Off-topic, but just where is a user's home directory normally found in an
> NT setup?

it's specified in the "user manager for domains" under the user's profile
settings.

> Something like \\server\users\username, with access restrictions
> preventing you from accessing places like \\server\users\otheruser ?

there's nothing to stop you specifying _any_ SMB path for a profile, as
long as the server that that SMB path refers to runs encrypted
passwords.  so, you could configure NT accounts on an NT server that
specify a samba server for the profiles.

> > the smbd process setuids to root when the user logs off.  it doesn't die,
> > because the background logon process under NT may still have files open.
> > then, your 2nd user logs on.  and the path suddenly changes under the NT
> > machine's feet.  it may attempt to close files whose path has changed.
> >
> > good idea: not good for storing profiles, though.
>
> Well, at least not when accessing using NT workstations.  What about
> Win95?

well, that's what the conversation with rob was about: there appear to be
circumstances under which a w95 machine occasionally doesn't drop the
connection to the smbd process (maybe a program crashed, and didn't close
its files).  the [homes] share will still exist, under these
circumstances, such that when the 2nd user logs in and tries to read the
profile, it fails.

luke