Win Clients -> Samba server -> broken

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Tue Aug 26 23:14:33 GMT 1997

At 08:18 AM 8/27/97 +1000, Graham Leggett wrote:

>I have just added another samba server with the intention of using it as
>a time server and WINS server.

This works good. I'm doing this right now.

>On three different Samba clients, accessing both servers using
>"smbclient" worked 100% and still works 100%.
>
>When accessing the new server from NT, it returns the system error 1214,
>formet of the specified network name is invalid. "Find computer" finds
>the computer, but the error occurs if I double-click on the computer
>name to access it. The same error occurs if I type "net time
>\\computername" from the DOS prompt.
>
>>From Windows 95, I type "net time \\computername" and I get error 59, an
>unexpected error has occured (surprise surprise), quit all running
>programs and restart your computer then try again. Of course, doing this
>has no effect.
>
>Looking inside the logfiles for nmbd, I see a lot of:
>
>Name query name registration for MACHINE(0) rejected!
>Name registration for name MACHINE(1f) at xx.xx.xx.xx - not found
>response for MACHINE(1f) from xx.xx.xx.xx (bcast=No)
>Name query name registration for MACHINE(1f) rejected!
>Name registration for name MACHINE(20) at xx.xx.xx.xx- not found

Does your new server have an entry in DNS? It appears not to.

I'm serving Samba shares out over the InterNet (see http://samba.mhsc.com
), as well as time, but some infra-structure has to be provided. Important
here is that the \\computername can not be a CNAME. It has to be a real,
RARP-able, DNS entry.

I was able to get this to work even across three domains and two firewalls,
let alone piddley little sub-net boundaries. Name browsing, of course,
doesn't work.

Roeland M.J. Meyer (RM993)
e-mail:		rmeyer at mhsc.com
web pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer