Connecting from UNIX to PC boxes

Ben Stuyts benst at nemesis.stuyts.nl
Thu Aug 14 09:28:04 GMT 1997

It was on Thu, 14 Aug 1997 that Martin Mielke <martin at jaleo.idecnet.com> wrote:

> What I would like to try is the other way around and therefore I would
> like to know if there's a way to connect with the PC from the UNIX box
> and treat it as it were a directory.

There's something I saw a short while ago called Rumba. (Samba, Rumba, oh
well.) You can find it in:

ftp://hal.kph.tuwien.ac.at/pub/NeXT/tools/rumba/
ftp://next-ftp.peak.org/pub/next/apps/utils/networks/

It was written for NeXTSTEP, but it works fine under FreeBSD too. It is a
translation layer between user level NFS and SMB, so should be quite
portable. According to the readme, there are a few problems with different fs
semantics for SMB and NFS.

Haven't tried it yet, so can't comment on how stable it is.

Best regards,
Ben