What is the right configuration in a Cluster Ovms Alpha 7.3- 2 - Samba 2.2.8 ?

COLLOT Jean-Yves jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Tue Jan 10 16:57:11 GMT 2006

Hello.

I don't exactly know what you want to do, but you must be aware that
Samba/VMS is not a cluster-wide tool.

You can install Samba/VMS on a common disk, but you will not be able to
start it simultaneously on more than one node of your cluster with the same
SMB.CONF file.

This is due to a number of reasons.

First, when you start the NMBD process, it checks in the NMBD.PID file that
there is no other NMBD process. If you have another NMBD process somewhere
in the cluster, NMBD will not start.

Even if you do something about that (for example by deleting NMBD.PID), it
won't work, because NMBD will try to announce itself (the "netbios name" in
SMB.CONF) as the local IP address. But, because this netbios name is already
registered and active, due to the other NMBD on the other cluster node, this
registration will fail.

I have never tried it, but I suppose that implementing something should not
be too difficult. My first idea should be to create some procedure which
checks periodically (every minute or so) if NMBD is running somewhere on the
cluster, and starts NMBD if not. If all your machines (i.e. server and
clients) are in the same IP subnet, it should be OK. If not, you'll probably
have to put some WINS server somewhere (if you don't have one already).

JY