Settings problem?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Feb 17 05:06:50 GMT 2005

Ross Smith wrote:
> I'm very new to Samba.
>
> I ran an install this morning and have 2.2.8 running on a IA64 OVMS v8.2
> machine and I'm still figuring out what end is up...

Unless you have gone through the source, you may find that parts of
SAMBA think you are running on a VAX.

> I noticed on the Mac OSX.3.8 box I used to test the server that I have
> a  "zero" -length file on the server...
>
> -rwx------    1 smithp01 admin           0 Dec  1 16:03 smithp01-1/mdp.bck
>
> Actually, on the VMS side things are rather different ...
>
> Directory SYS$USER:[SMITHP01]
>
> mdp.bck;1             501291/501296    1-DEC-2004 15:54:20.18
>
> Presumably there is a size overflow issue here for the directory.

More likely a different bug.  The size field data type is more than
large enough for the task.

> Is there a fix? or a different choice for parameters in smb.conf?

I do not know.

Which 2.2.8 release are you running?  There have been several of them.

I do not know what if any of the things that I changed for 8.2 and IA64
on http://encompasserve.org/~malmberg/SAMBA/ in the SAMBA 2.2.12 kit
have been incorporated in Jean-Yves latest kit.

I do know there are fixes in Jean-Yves latest 2.2.8 kit that I have not
yet rolled into 2.2.12.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net