Windows<->VMS Samba performance issue

BG - Ben Armstrong BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca
Fri Sep 17 17:59:25 GMT 2004

We have observed that a Linux 2.6 client using smbfs completes a simple
"write large files" benchmark of our own devising* 10 times faster than
a Windows client on the same network with the same load!  This suggests
that there is great room for improvement just by changing some settings
-- possibly some of the socket options, as a casual review of the Samba
literature suggests.

So what we're after now is some pointers for tuning so that we can
realize with a Windows client a similar level of performance to the
Linux client.  We need to know how to find out which settings are out of
whack, and how to choose from among the thousands of possible knobs we
could fiddle with.

Thanks,
Ben
p.s. For those interested in the ruby benchmark, here it is:

--- cut here ---
def timer
    start=Time.now
    yield
    finish=Time.now
    finish-start
end

def bench(drive,blocks,blocksize)
    data=' ' * blocksize
    workFile="#{drive}BENCH.TMP"
    begin
        seconds=timer{
            File.open(workFile,'w+'){|output| blocks.times{output.write(data)}}
            File.delete(workFile)
        }
        puts "On drive #{drive} time to write #{'%7.3d' % (blocks*blocksize)} bytes = #{seconds} seconds"
    rescue
    end
end

drive,blocks,blocksize=ARGV

blocks      ||=10000  ; blocks=blocks.to_i
blocksize   ||=1024   ; blocksize=blocksize.to_i

%w(/tmp/ /z/tmp/ /s/tmp/ /v/tmp/).each{|drive| bench(drive,blocks,blocksize)}
--- cut here ---