Scripting task to improve reading of documentation on VMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Sep 15 18:25:12 GMT 2004

In article <CF0913E9C3D53D4E94DE47FDE25C633D05048C01 at hermes.cofiroute.com>,
 COLLOT Jean-Yves <jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr> writes:
>> This would indicate that something in SWAT is doing a translation.
>
> Yes, sure, something does. A piece of VMS-specific code in CGI.C keeps only
> the first dot(.) and replaces all subsequent dots by underscores(_). After
> that, I renamed the files (i.e. SMBD.8.HTML to SMBD.8_HTML).

I would recommend renaming smbd.8.html to smbd_8.html so that standard
browsers and other tools can find the files and render them.

With a script to fix the links in the code, the amount of VMS specific code
that needs to be in SAMBA may be able to be diminished, which makes it easier
to get the VMS releases up to the UNIX levels.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network