SAMBA problem report - file deletion failure

Albrecht Schlosser ajs856 at tiscali.de
Wed Dec 15 14:21:54 GMT 2004

RR - Rod Regier wrote:
> I have encountered a problem that was reproducible on 3 different
> workstations
> accessing a common Samba/VMS server.
>
> Sample files created using both "DOS" window and GUI, and deleted using
> both "DOS" window and GUI.
> Confirming message and file display removal occurred normally with the
> GUI.
>
> Subsequent DIR or GUI view refresh showed the file had in fact *not*
> been deleted.

I can confirm this behavior, but I remember that I had some problems when trying
to delete some files on a Samba server - I got error messages which stated that
the file was in use ... (sorry, can't remember the correct message).

Now I tried to delete some files, and they seemed to be deleted in the windows
explorer, but after refreshing teh view (F5) they reappeared. VMS dir confirmed
that they were still there.

Strange effect: deleting the same file(s) worked on the same windows PC (WinXP
Pro) from a cygwin shell (rm filename ...)!

I can copy and rename files successfully with the windows explorer, but deleting
the files doesn't work - strange ...

Albrecht

P.S.: Samba Version 2.2.8, release 20041021