Samba 2.2.8 not starting

georges.bert at Lafarge-Ciments.Lafarge.com georges.bert at Lafarge-Ciments.Lafarge.com
Mon May 12 15:05:15 GMT 2003

> Jean-Yves Collot wrote :
> If anyone can try to reproduce the problem and get more information (may be
> by increasing the debug level of nmbd) it could be a great help.

Results obtained on a VAX/VMS-7.1+UCX and a standard link
(no C compilation). Followwing is the nmbd_startup.log after
a "normal" startup :

$ arch = f$getsyi("ARCH_NAME")
$ nmbd :== $samba_root:[bin]nmbd
$ opt = f$trnlnm("SAMBA_NMBD_OPTIONS")
$ nmbd "-d3"
  SYSTEM       job terminated at 12-MAY-2003 16:12:25.58

  Accounting information:
  Buffered I/O count:             113         Peak working set size:    2844
  Direct I/O count:               554         Peak page file size:      7945
  Page faults:                   1767         Mounted volumes:             0
  Charged CPU time:           0 00:00:01.04   Elapsed time:     0 00:00:03.13

--> It fails without any message at all!

When I put the -i option, the behaviour seems to be correct (and it works fine) :

$ arch = f$getsyi("ARCH_NAME")
$ nmbd :== $samba_root:[bin]nmbd
$ opt = f$trnlnm("SAMBA_NMBD_OPTIONS")
$ nmbd "-d1" "-i"
Netbios nameserver version 2.2.8 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2002
standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
find_response_record: response packet id 22192 received with no matching record.
find_response_record: response packet id 22193 received with no matching record.

I've no idea why this difference.

Georges

"This e-mail is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute,
disclose or use the information it contains.  Please e-mail the sender immediately and delete this message from your system.  E-mails are susceptible
to corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment; we do not accept liability for any such changes, or for their consequences. You should be
aware, that the company  may monitor your emails and their content"