Samba 2.2.8 not starting

COLLOT Jean-Yves Jean-Yves.COLLOT at cofiroute.fr
Mon May 12 13:00:45 GMT 2003

About the " Error: can't write to file /samba_root/var/locks/nmbd.pid: bad
file number" issue when NMBD starts, I really don't know what happens. I
have the feeling that this specific problem appears only on the VAX version
of VMS/Samba (both messages are on VAX) , but I am not sure.

The most amazing thing, in my opinion, is that the problem disappears when
the "-i" option is selected for nmbd, because as far as I know, there is
very little differences when this option is selected for that program.

Anyway, I have just one VAX platform (VMS 7.1, TCPIP 5.0A ECO1) and I can't
reproduce that problem on it, so I have no idea how I could fix that.

If anyone can try to reproduce the problem and get more information (may be
by increasing the debug level of nmbd) it could be a great help.

Thanks.