File protection (or >8 char directory names. I'm not sure...)

Jan-erik Söderholm (QAC) Jan-erik.Soderholm at pac.ericsson.se
Thu Jan 2 22:31:47 GMT 2003

Hi.
Samba 2.2.7a
VMS 7.3-1
Win98 client (not SE or ME)

I connect to my "user" directory on the server.

I can "see" all files in Windows Explorer.
I can "type" and "edit" from a DOS window.
I can "open" a PS file in Ghostview.
I can "open" a PDF file with Acrobat Reader.

I can *not* open the file with Notepad or Wordpad.
(The message points against some protection problem,
have cheched the files on VMS side, and no differense there.)

Now, if I move the file (drag-n-drop in Win Expl)
to a directory with a name of less then 8 char,
I *can* open the file with Notepad or Wordpad.

Does *some* applications have problems with >8char
directories using SAMBA ? In the error message from
Notepad and Wordpad, the directory name are in the
crippled "~" format, if it does any differense.

Jan-Erik Söderholm.