New samba not starting

Brian Tillman Brian.Tillman at Smiths-Aerospace.com
Tue Aug 26 17:57:11 GMT 2003

I downloaded the recent 2.2.8 release of Samba and installed it on a VAX and
an Alpha.  NMBD runs fine on each.  However, I can't connect from another
(Windows XP) system and prior to the 2.2.8 install, I could.  TESTPARM
reports this:

Load smb config files from /samba_root/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[Tillman]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: lock directory /samba_root/var/locks should have permissions 0755
for b
rowsing to work
Invalid combination of parameters for service homes. Level II oplocks can
only b
e set if oplocks are also set.
Invalid combination of parameters for service Tillman. Level II oplocks can
only
 be set if oplocks are also set.
        oplocks = No
        level2 oplocks = Yes

I don't see the term "oplocks" mentioned in SMB.CONF anywhere, so what does
it mean?  I did look for "oplocks" in the online docs and found that, by
default, both "oplocks" and "level2 oplocks" default to "yes".  How,
therefore, is "oplocks" getting set to off?  Do I want them on or off for
VMS?  Would they have an effect on logging in?
--
Brian Tillman         Internet: Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace dot com
Smiths Aerospace  Addresses modified to prevent SPAM.