Samba VMS 2.2.4 : some new fixes

Michael D. Ober MDO at wakeassoc.com
Wed Sep 18 20:03:21 GMT 2002

Thank You.

-----Original Message-----
From: jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
[mailto:jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 10:35 AM
To: Samba VMS
Subject: Samba VMS 2.2.4 : some new fixes

There is a new kit for Samba/VMS version 2.2.4, as usual at
www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/
The new files are dated 18-sep-2002.

This new kit fixes a number of things that were told to me (mostly thru this
list).

First, I included the fixes that Mr George Watson was kind enough to send to
me. They deal with starting SWAT, with SMBCLIENT, and a minor correction in
INSTALL.COM. More information can be found from his messages in this list a
couple of days ago.

The problem given by Mr Aleksander Sinigoj was far more tricky. He told us
this :
> There is a bug when rewriting a file which is truncated.
> The EOF position on a OpenVMS file is not
> decreased. Try a simple test:
> - Create a text file with notepad and fill in some records
> - Save the file on a VMS Samba served path
> - delete some records or characters in notepad
> - save the file again
> - reopen the file and position to EOF, there are some null bytes
> corresponding to the size of the first save

This is perfectly true. The reason is that the ftruncate() function of the
DECC library does not work properly. It seems to, but at fclose() time, the
file goes back to its previous size !!! I had to truncate the file myself
using direct calls to RMS...
Anyway, even if "This bug has been in Samba VMS forever", as Mr Michael D.
Ober remarks, it's now gone (or so I hope).
This is the second problem I have with ftruncate() : it was also ftruncate()
that made impossible to copy big files (80 Mb or more) to a Samba VMS
server.

Another problem is corrected in this release. It deals with editing and
modifying variable-record files with Notepad or other tools. I don't know if
you tried it, but it did not work. You could visualize the file, but you
could not properly save it after having made changes. The new version now
deals with this correctly, just like Pathworks do : when you save the
modified file, its record format is changed to stream. I guess that correct
processing of variable-record files is another bug that was in Samba VMS
forever...

Thanks again to all of you testing and helping.