Problem linking SAMBA-2.0.6 on VMS-6.2

georges.bert at Lafarge-Ciments.Lafarge.com georges.bert at Lafarge-Ciments.Lafarge.com
Mon May 6 17:27:51 GMT 2002

Hello,

I have successfully installed SAMBA-2.0.3 on a VAX running VMS-6.2.

The problem I am faced to  now is that I need encrypted passwords (because
we have NT and W2K boxes). So I'm trying to install SAMBA-2.0.6.

The first step was to install Frontport. Since there was no C compiler on
the VAX, I copied the DECC$CRTL.OLB (V5.7) in sys$share. After that (and
some other minor modifications) I have been able to link and start
Frontport.

The problem is that I can't link samba. I added sys$share:DECC$CRTL.OLB/lib
to the link command in LINK_SAMBA_VMS.COM and I get the following error :
Linking shared image for UBIQX.
Linking shared image for LIB.
%LINK-E-OUTSIMG, attempted store location %X000649FC is outside image
binary (%X
00000000 to %X00000000)
        in psect ENVIRON module C$EXTERNDATA file
SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSLIB]DECC$CRTL.

("OpenVMS System Messages and Recovery Procedure Reference Manual" explains
that the problem comes from a common initialization in a shreable image but
it doesn't help me !).

May be I made something stupid but I can't figure out where ... !

Can anybody help me or suggest a direction to explore ?

Best regards,              Georges

"This e-mail is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy,
distribute, disclose or use the information it contains.  Please e-mail the
sender immediately and delete this message from your system.  E-mails are
susceptible to corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment; we do
not accept liability for any such changes, or for their consequences. You
should be aware, that the company  may monitor your emails and their
content"