Unable to connect to Samba

john marchant jmarchant at cobbcounty.org
Fri Mar 22 15:03:08 GMT 2002

Can you try a different account?  I know you haven't changed anything, but
it may help.  I have problems with some Windows machines that work with some
users and some require privileged users.

For example, I have several machines with shared printers.  One account can
access some of the printers, however, on some of the shared printers, they
require a privileged (nt admin) account.  I have no idea why.  The regular
user simply will not print to these shared devices using smbclient.  This is
not peculiar to OpenVMS either, but this also occurs on Unix versions as
well.  Nothing is different on the machines or the accounts, it just won't
work unless I use a privileged account.  Thus, my possible "solution."  Try
a privileged account.

We're running Samba v1.9.17p4 on OpenVMS Alpha 7.2-1 with Multinet v4.2-A-X
and trying to connect from a Win95 box. It's been working for years, but as
of a few days ago, we get the following message:

Error 55: The specified resource is not available. The computer that shared
the resource might have been turned off, or the permissions might have been
changed. For more information, contact our network administrator.

There have been no recent configuration changes to anything on either the
VMS server of the PC. Both machines are on the network. I can ping the PC
from the VMS box and I can ping the VMS box from the PC.

I know very little about Samba mangement, so I don't have any idea where
to start looking.

Tim