Samba V2.0.6 trouble

Carl Perkins carl at gergx.gerg.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 30 09:23:07 GMT 2002

I am having a problem that supposedly has a known solution - except
that the solution doesn't actually work for me.

Samba version 2.0.6
OpenVMS Alpha V7.2-1

The problem: Samba extends files without limit (or, alternatively, with
a very large limit that exceeds 2.3GB as that is the largest one has gotten).

In SMB.CONF I have the line:

   ole locking compatibility = no

The testparam program indicates that it reads this in:

[SYSMGR]: smbtest
Load smb config files from SAMBA_ROOT/LIB/SMB.CONF
# Global parameters
[global]
        ole locking compatibility = No

This does not help.

Are there other parameters which can cause/solve the problem other than
the ole locking compatibility parameter?

I have tried with oplocks on and off, and level2 oplocks on and off,
and a variety of other things. Nothing has helped.

I have installed the VMS721_ACRTL-V0400 ECO.

I have even defined the DECC$POSIX_SEEK_STREAM_FILE to ENABLE,
a possibility which dates back to V0200 of the ECO and is supposed
to prevent lseek() and fseek() from null padding the file when used
with large values unless the location was actually written to (so
either this is not caused by use of one of these functions with a
huge offset, or it is actually writing something to the excessively
large position).

It still extends files without limit.

I can copy files to and from the Samba system with Explorer without
having this problem.

I can create and open text files with notepad without difficulty.

Any use of a Microsoft Office program (Word and Excel tested) to access
an existing file or save a new file to the Samba share results in this
incorrect behavior.

The LOG.servername files are littered with messages like this:

[2002/04/30 03:03:22, 0] CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.SMBD]CONNECTION.C;1:(61)
  ERROR: can't get lock on SAMBA_ROOT/VAR/LOCKS/STATUS..LCK

But this doesn't seem to stop it from working in other respects, if it
means anything at all. Does it try the illegal two dot file name before
trying the translated version STATUS__2E.LCK? If so, it would be nice if
it would use the correct version and not put this message into the log
file all the time.

Around the time of one of my tests, there is an entry that says:
[2002/04/30 03:16:18, 0] CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.SMBD]NTTRANS.C;2:(2401)
  call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.

But this message only occurs that one time and the problem has happened
at other times.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

--- Carl Perkins
    Computer Systems Manager
    Geochemical & Environmental Research Group
    Texas A&M University
    carl at gerg.tamu.edu