VMS Daemons V.S. UNIX Daemons

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Tue Oct 2 21:44:31 GMT 2001

> 	http://lists.samba.org/listinfo/samba-vms
>
> Replies to Today's Topics: (Originals edited)
>
>    1. Help for SAMBA on Open-VMS (PTavares#telefonica-rs.net.br)
>    2. RE: Help for SAMBA on Open-VMS (MDO#wakeassoc.com)
>    3. Help on Open-VMS (PTavares#telefonica-rs.net.br)
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> From: PTavares at telefonica-rs.net.br
>
> Regarding your comments, I'm sending this message in plan text.

Much appreciated.  I get this list in Digest form, and HTML is totally
undigestable to the list server.

> I've recently installed Samba 1.9.17p4 on my Open-VMS plaftorm.

You might want to consider Samba 2.0.3 or SAMBA 2.0.6.

In any case get the SAMBA FAQ from the OpenVMS FREEWARE 5.0 CD-ROM.
It is in the SAMBA 2.0.6 kit.

If you do not have the physical CD-ROMs, the contents are available for
download from a link at http://www.openvms.compaq.com.

> I'm working on
> VMS is 7.1.2 and UCX 4.2 ECO 4. These are my problems/doubts:

> - On a Unix platform, Samba there is always 2 daemons running: smbd and
> nmbd. I haven't found nmbd running on VMS, only smbd...is that right?
> Otherwise, what might be wrong?

This was answered by Mike Ober.

The NMBD runs as a detached process on OpenVMS, but the SMBD is only
active for each sessions.  No sessions, no SMBD.  Normal browsing on a
network will usually keep one SMBD arround.

In UNIX, under the normal configuration, SMBD runs detached and forks
copies of itself.

On OpenVMS, a completely new copy of SMBD is started for each session by
the TCPIP dispatcher (INETD equivalent).

For SAMBA 2.2.0 and beyond, the NMBD may also need to be launched by the
TCPIP dispatcher.  This is to remove a problem where one client session
can block all others.

> I've got started NMBD on its right TCP port and the VMS server is already
> being seen through my network but I'm unable to see the exported path in
> smb.conf. What else may be missed out?

At this point you must be close.  This is where the FAQ I mentioned may be
of some help.  Also the diagnosis.txt from the UNIX port is usefull.

SAMBA on OpenVMS Earlier than 2.0.6 requires that the client have
plain-text passwords enabled.

With SAMBA 2.0.6, you can use encrypted passwords if you have created a
SMBPASSWD file.

The next common pitfall seems to be that accessing a share from NT clients
requires a guest account with a valid directory.  Accessing from WIN-95
does not.  This is something that needs further investigation as a guest
account is not required on a Microsoft NT server, so it should not be on a
SAMBA server either.

Oh, and when running TESTPARM, ignore the message about the wrong
protection on the directory possibly preventing browsing.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only