Drive mapping no longer works on Windows 2000 PCs

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Tue Oct 2 22:06:48 GMT 2001

> 	http://lists.samba.org/listinfo/samba-vms
> --__--__--
>
> "Boyce, Nick" <nick.boyce at eds.company> wrote:
>
> 1)  I'm almost sure that Samba needs to be at version 2.0.x (I think 2.0.7
> actually) to cope with the changes to the SMB protocol that Microsoft
> introduced with Win2K; you're using 1.9.17p4, so I don't see how this can
> *ever* have worked with your Win2K PCs ....     (others will correct me if
> I'm wrong here)

I have not followed all of the discussions on SAMBA-TECHNICAL, but the
issues with Win2K and SAMBA are mostly resolved with SAMBA 2.0.7, but
further issues exist with newer Microsoft Windows offerings that require
SAMBA 2.2.x to resolve.

The problems with Win2K and SAMBA prior to Versions 2.0.7 are intermittant
slowdowns that prevent communication.  They may or not be seen at a site.

Samba 2.0.3 has been reported as being less likely to trigger this on
OpenVMS than SAMBA 2.0.6.  The reasons for this is unknown.

The main functional differences are that 2.0.6 implements oplock
negotiation, and encrypted passwords, and also implements a read-ahead /
write behind buffer on file transfers.  This buffer was implemented
because of locking issues, but has the effect of speeding some operations
up, and thus changing the timing.

System load or lack there of can also be a factor.

> For VMS there are two ports (two "branches") of Samba 2.x : 2.0.3, and
> 2.0.6, so if I'm right about 2.0.7 being needed then you're out of luck.

2.0.7 (Actually 2.0.10 seems to be the latest of that branch) or 2.0.8
look like they should build on OpenVMS ALPHA 7.3.  Other versions of VMS
would require a SMOP.  SAMBA 2.0.9 only involves code that is
conditionally compiled out on OpenVMS.

SAMBA 2.2.x requires a little more work.

See the archives of this list for more information.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only.