VMS install

jgbingham jgbingham at micron.com
Mon Nov 12 14:19:07 GMT 2001

Carl,

This may help.

Look at your account parameters and at the sysgen parameter ERLBUFFERPAGES
(default should = 4)
Try increasing it to 6  ( + 2 increments, max = 32, requires a reboot,  BUT
---> Ask your Compaq VMS
software support rep for more details on this one, before you do it, because
it may require other
parameter adjustments as well. )

You may also be hitting the DCL max record length limitation. (255
characters)
Try a different editor  like TPU, TECO etc.

Here's what the help/message has to say if you don't have this info
already...

$ help/mess RTB

RTB,  'nnn' byte record too large for user's buffer

  Facility:     RMS, OpenVMS Record Management Services

  Explanation:  A record returned from a $GET operation is too large for the
                user buffer provided. The status value (STV) field of the
                RAB contains the size of the record that is too large; the
                returned record is truncated to the size of the user buffer.

  User Action:  Correct the program by providing a larger buffer.

Good luck,

gus bingham
VMS System Management
Email: jgbingham at micron.com
Phone: (208) 368-3573

If one is lucky, a single dream can totally transform a million realities.