SAMBA_VERSION_VENDOR_SUFFIX in VERSION

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue May 28 21:42:05 UTC 2024

Kia Ora Samba packagers,

I just wanted to ask nicely if you could fill
in SAMBA_VERSION_VENDOR_SUFFIX in the VERSION file when you build
Samba?

Debian does it like this:
https://salsa.debian.org/samba-team/samba/-/blob/master/debian/rules?ref_type=heads#L163

(that is, a simple sed on the VERSION file)

Likewise if you are a Samba user and use a Samba package that doesn't
do this, can you ask them to add it?

This really helps us when debugging, as we know what package you are
using and so what patches might be applied, or if this is just the
upstream tarball.  In particular the version string given in the crash
backtrace will have this info.
Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company
Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions