Joining a Windows DC to a Samba AD Domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 27 14:39:13 UTC 2023

On 27/03/2023 14:45, Ralph Boehme via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
>  From all I know it is generally not recommended to join Windows DCs to
> to a Samba AD domain, is it?
>
> I've just came across the following two pages on our wiki:
>
> <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD>
> <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2012_/_2012_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD>
>
> To avoid giving bad guidance I've added two prominent warnings at the
> top of the pages. Is this sensible? Is this correct? Thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
> -slow

I didn't think things were that bad, I thought you could join a 2008R2
as a DC, though with the usual caveats(no sysvol replication etc) and
that Samba was now halfway there on the 2012R2 DC, new Heimdal, 'claims'
being actively worked on etc, so I think 'There be dragons' might be a
bit dramatic.

Rowland