mit-krb5 and heimdal binaries

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Mar 19 19:38:40 UTC 2023

On 19/03/2023 19:19, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 08:56:52AM +0000, Rowland Penny via
> samba-technical wrote:
>>
>> Alexander, as I said, I do not have an axe to grind in this, if Samba
>> decides to move to MIT, then so be it. You however, do have  an axe to
>> grind, you work for red-hat, who are on record as saying that there
>> will never be an AD DC on RHEL. Are you now saying that, if Samba
>> moves to MIT, there will be ?
>
> These are not productive comments. Please don't attack Alexander
> or other Red Hat engineers who are working on Samba.
>
> It's also not reasonable to try and force Alexander or any other
> Red Hat engineer to make "official" policy statements on behalf
> of Red Hat that they're simply not allowed to make. That would
> be very damaging to their career, and isn't the way the corporate
> Open Source world works.
>
> Please step back and try to be kinder to your fellow engineers,
> and always assume good faith from your Team mates, as they do
> to you.
>
> Jeremy.

It was never my intention to attack anyone, I was just trying to elicit
information.

All I did was state the facts as I saw them and ask a question based on
the response I received, Alexander seemed to be saying that there was a
chance that there may be a Samba AD DC on RHEL, something that I thought
had been ruled out.

I also stated that I think it is dishonest for Fedora not to actually
say that, from the Samba point of view, using MIT as the kdc on an AD DC
is classed as experimental.

If I upset anyone then I apologise, this was not what I replied for. I
initially replied to a post from Michael asking if it was a good idea to
produce two versions of Samba, one based on MIT and one based on
Heimdal. It sort of all kicked of from there.

Sorry

Rowland