IPv6 and commit d882add695bbd5ea03961c08ac2c0380fbf2947b

Nathaniel W. Turner nathanielwyliet at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 20:17:46 UTC 2022

Hi folks,

I'm investigating an apparent regression in IPv6 support in the "net"
command, and I have some questions about commit
d882add695bbd5ea03961c08ac2c0380fbf2947b.

It looks like it was intended to improve and simplify DNS lookups, but
unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems to have introduced the assumption
that if a DC has IPv4 addresses, all clients will too.

If a DC is configured to support both IPv4 and IPv6, and a client in that
environment is configured IPv6-only (e.g. as part of a transition to
all-IPv6), it looks like the logic will pick one of the DC's IPv4 addresses
and ignore it's IPv6 addresses.

Am I missing something?