failing tests in the testsuite on debian

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 15 15:27:22 UTC 2022

On 15/11/2022 15:12, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical wrote:
> 15.11.2022 16:35, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical wrote:
>> In particular, one can't re-run tests, because on subsequent runs, even
>> if you `rm -rf st' in-between, the result will be different, and
>> different
>> tests will fail and the ones failed before will succeed
>
> I figured this part out. It was my environment which was buggy. It turned
> out I tried to run stuff in a separate pid namespace without a proper
> process reaper, so zombies from the exited daemons weren't cleaned up
> properly and certain resources had become busy and was never freed
> before this namespace termination.  It was nothing to do with the
> samba testsuite.
>
> Certain tests do continue to fail though, and I still don't see how
> to address this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> /mjt

Hi Michael, I think you may be over thinking this ;-)

It is my understanding that the tests are designed to test the entire
Samba suite at compile time. It is this way to ensure that changes do
not break something else. Some tests are expected to succeed, while
others are expected to fail, it is when a test does something that it
isn't expected to do that you get errors.

You can run individual tests, but this is usually only done when
altering an individual part of Samba, a python script for instance.

So, when the Samba tarball gets to you, you can be fairly sure that
Samba is correct. Any errors, after you compile Samba and create debs
from it, are likely to be packing errors, perhaps you need your own
tests for that ?

I see no use in packing the tests (if this is what you are trying to
do), they are really only of use at compile time.

This is my understanding of the tests, if it is wrong, I am sure someone
will jump in and correct my errors.

Rowland