failing tests in the testsuite on debian

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Tue Nov 15 14:45:54 UTC 2022

On 11/15/22 14:35, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical wrote:
> I experimented with the tests some more. Thank you Jeremy for the
> tip about escaping spaces in the knownfail files, - somehow I noticed
> this is the case in other places but didnt' think about using escapes
> in my "knownfails".
>
> But the thing, or a request for help actually, is still here.  I found
> out that samba testsuite is unreliable.

sort of. It is just picky about choosing it's distro friends. :) A full
pass can basically only be expected on the specific distribution that is
used on gitlab CI and our final git gatekeeper (that runs a final make
test before doing a git ff push). Iirc we're still using Ubuntu 18.04 on
the git gatekeeper and the CI containers, cf:

<https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/jobs/3324388385>

Another thing that might cause issues is that you seem to be running waf
directly while you should use the make wrapper as that sets some
important environment variables.

It seems your goal is running the full testsuite as part of packaging
and I can only warn you that this likely a huge timesink. Eg some tests
expect certain filesystems, maybe it's a more reasonable approach to
only run a subset of tests that we run in our -o3 runners, eg:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/jobs/3324388357

make test FAIL_IMMEDIATELY=1 TESTS='--exclude=selftest/slow-none
--include-env=none'

or this one

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/jobs/3324388385

which includes more envs:

make testonly FAIL_IMMEDIATELY=1 TESTS='--include-env=fileserver
--include-env=fileserver_smb1 --include-env=fileserver_smb1_done
--include-env=maptoguest --include-env=ktest'

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead      https://sernet.de/en/team-samba